Sunday, April 26, 2009

Latin Interiors...the beginning!

A good friend of mine on Twitter gave me my thought process for the day which just might have created a whole can of worms. I am very proud to be a Puerto Rican Interior Designer, and the only one I currently know. My clientele ranges from the moderate income earner to the high-end home. I am even prouder to know that there are Latinas y Latinos out there who are making it big in this world, although I have yet to work on the home of another Hispanic- and that saddens me. I know they are out there, I just have to find them! But back to the subject at hand. Hispanic people, no matter where we are from, are some of the most vibrant, creative, passionate people on the face of the Earth. We live, love and play hard and it is reflected in our culture, our lifestyles and our homes.

Although we are the largest growing population in the world, we are the smallest represented group in media. Where do we, as a culture, go to find ideas for decorating, design, art and fashion? There are a small number of resources for these items, but you have to truly search for them. On the concept of good, classic interior design and decoration, there is virtually NOTHING that speaks to our people. I have found a few articles in magazines throughout the years that show "Mexican Style" of interior design as this multi-colored jumble of of what looks more like a circus than anything that I would ever want to call home. Has no one done their research? Go to a resort in Mexico and you will find colors more like the beaches, the sands and the tranquil sky than you will find what's in your local Mexican restaurant. The same can be said for a visit to Brazil or Puerto Rico. We have a taste for the refined and luxurious, just as much as the next nationality. I have made it my duty, to dedicate some of my life to give back to interior design within my culture and that of others of the Hispanic community. Starting with this blog post, Latin Interiors is now born...

3 comments:

  1. OMG! (or ¡ODM!) -- I'm glad this set you off on a new path. Now, write us one blog post, we'll share it on HispanoSphere (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/hispanosphere) and we'll link it back to you at some point. Let me know what'd be a good subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this idea! Look forward to continuing to read your blog and tweets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for giving me postivie Latin vibes... Either one of you can please feel free to send me a post every now and then. This is for us, all of us!

    ReplyDelete